Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ew


Tonight, Ariel and I were talking about my niece, Sofia. This happens a lot. Because she's kind of awesome. Her latest bit of awesomeness has been the fact that she's starting to use her words a lot. As far as I can tell, she's only got about four, but she's making them count. And the way she says them gets stuck in my head. In this case, it's how she says "hello." Because she doesn't just say "hello," but "hellooooooooo!!!!" like a 15 month-old Seinfeld with a really big smile while careening toward you at a surprisingly fast pace.

So anyway, I was walking around the apartment randomly saying "hellooooo!!!" when Ariel and I had the following conversation.

Me: (After doing my Sofia/Seinfeld impression) Sofia is just too cute.

Ariel: Too cute, huh?

Me: Yep, too cute.

Ariel: So, what are you going to do about it?

Me: I'm gonna hug the crap out of her.

Ariel: Well...... That won't take much.


Ew.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

And with that picture? Ewww is right!

Lee said...

Thankfully Sofia's digestive tract isn't so akin to a tube of toothpaste that a bear hug would have that kind of effect, because otherwise I'd have to change clothes every morning before I go to work.

Other words Sofia has "mastered":

- "Daddy!" (only hold the "ee" sound for about five seconds)
- "tickle, tickle" (which she says while scratching you, the mirror, her stomach or anything else within reach)
- "poté, poté" (which means "never" in Greek; she says this while wagging her finger vigorously at us)
- "cake" (given the picture, I think you can figure out why)

Derek said...

A few things to add to Lee's comment:

- Sofia doesn't limit her "poté poté" to people. The other day Ariel was at Lee and Pegs' apartment, and saw Sofia trying to fit different shaped blocks through corresponding holes in a box. When she couldn't get the triangle through the cube-shaped hole, she put it down, shook her finger vigorously at it, and scolded the inanimate object with a firm "poté poté" before walking off to play with another game.

- "Daddy" might just be the most adorable thing that Sofia says, not only for the way she says it - "Daddeeeeee!!" - but also because it seems like for her, "Daddy" is not just Lee, but pretty much anything and everything that makes her happy. In other words, Lee's name basically means "awesome." That's gotta make you feel good.

wanderingintheweehours said...

I love your response, Derek!! Can really envision her shaking her finger at the box, and the feelings you describe about 'Daddeee" really fill my heart
<3 (a real compliment for Lee! :-)