Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Homeward Bound

It's now 100%, absolutely, positively, without-a-shadow-of-a-doubt, officially certain that Ariel and I are heading back to California in the next couple of months. Of course, this may not exactly come as news to anyone, so why am I even bothering to announce it (again)? Because, at long last, I finally bought my ticket. Mark your calendars, boys and girls, because my flight to San Francisco leaves on October 6, 2009, at 1:30 pm.

I have to say, I'm feeling pretty ambivalent about this flight. I've really enjoyed the past year that Ariel and I have spent here in Paris (and I'm going to continue to enjoy it up until the Oct. 6). To be honest, there's a big part of me that doesn't want to leave. I live in a beautiful apartment in a beautiful city, my work is going well (though it won't exactly be rewarding in the financial sense this coming year), and I have a whole big chunk of my family just a train ride - or even better, a 10 minute walk - from where I live.

At the same time, it's going to be nice to be back in California around good friends, close to other parts of the family, and where hopefully work will still be good (albeit equally nonpaying). Also helping the whole excited-to-go-back-to-California side: the fact that Ariel will already be there. She's leaving Paris on September 19, so that means there's going to be a little over 2 weeks here in Paris without her. If two weeks without my wife won't make me want to jump on a plane and fly 17 hours to San Francisco (with layover), then I don't know what will.

3 comments:

Vanessa said...

Well, I for one am glad to have you closer, especially now that I'm on the west coast again.....even though I still probably won't see you very often with our work schedules. It just seems a lot more feasible and that pleases me. :)

Derek said...

I agree - that's definitely a plus for going back to West Coast, USA. Once we're there it's going to be great, I'm sure. And like we said when we came to Paris, we're just going to have to do a bit of wandering around and visiting people and places to make the move worthwhile. So we'll definitely be seeing you in Portland!

wanderingintheweehours said...

Yea! nice to have this definite date now...we look forward to seeing you both in the nearing future!!
Love!