
Over the past few months, my niece Sofia has become a talking fiend. She's learning to speak in three different languages, and her words in all three make frequent appearances amid the babble that pretty much constantly flows from her mouth when she's not unconscious. Give her something to eat and she says "merci." Take her for a walk to the park and she'll chant "volta, volta!" ("trip, trip!"). Change her diaper and she starts crying "I know" (Sofia tends to cry a little when you change her, so Lee and Pegs try to calm her down by shushing and saying things like "I know," which has led the Littlest Pool to believe that "I know" has something to do with diapers and booty wiping).
Lately Sofia has especially enjoyed saying people's names, which tend to get stuck on "repeat" in her brain. A pretty big chunk of her day now is spent calling out "Daddy, Daddy, Mama, Mama" over and over again (which actually sounds like "Dadee" and "Mama"). Mixed in with her parents are Yia Yia and Papou (Pegs' parents), Mamie and Pop (Lee and my parents), Bon Papa (my grandfather), "Iki" (Pegs' sister Nikki) and her children "Adada" and "Eva" (Alexandra and Eva), and us Vandersibs. Sofia got Vanessa and Ariel's names down pretty quickly: "Nana" and "ao." Damien and I have been a bit trickier, though. I'm still not exactly sure what she calls Damien, but this past weekend she finally found some semblance of my name that's been able to repeat, and she spent a good chunk of Saturday saying over and over again: "Duck."'
To me, this is excellent knews for several reasons. 1) I have now joined the pantheon of names Sofia repeats ad nauseum, which makes me feel all special. 2) "Duck" is far better than her previous attempts to say my name, which usually ended up as something closer to "Dick." And 3) looking back on Sofia's first word, it is now abundantly clear that she's been trying to say my name the whole time - indisputable proof that I am her favorite uncle.
Damien and Young: Suck it.
2 comments:
Hey, Duck! Sofia's got the right idea....a brilliant child undoubtedly acknowledging her most excellent uncle :-)
Hey dom, I couldn't agree more!
Post a Comment