Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Derek vs. the EDF


Well, it's settled: I'm an idiot.

Now I know that some of you may be saying to yourselves, "Pish posh, Derek - we've known you're an idiot for a while now. Don't act like it's only just now settled." Well, first of all, since I'm an idiot I didn't catch on to that fact as quickly as most of you did. And secondly, who says "pish posh" anymore? Dork.

"So," you might respond, brushing aside my wimpy retort, "how did you finally figure out that you're an idiot?" I'll tell you:

On Monday morning, Ariel and I were slowly getting ready for our day when suddenly the electricity went out in our apartment. At first we thought the whole building had lost power, but then Ariel noticed that the lights in the hall were on. I went out to see if someone knew what was happening and came across the building's gardienne, who quickly shed some light on the situation (pun unabashedly intended). Someone from the electricity company EDF had come and turned off the power to our apartment.

Why on earth did they do that?! Well, it turns out that it's because...you guessed it - I'm an idiot. Back in October when we moved into this apartment, I spoke with our landlord about setting up the electricity bill. I was under the (mistaken) impression that because she had my bank account information and told me she was going to call EDF to take her name off the bill, she was also going to then put my name on it. She was under the (much more logical) impression that she was simply going to take her name off, and it was my own responsibility to put my name on the bill. And thus did our electricity bill not get paid for two months, resulting in the aforementioned disconnection of power.

Fortunately, I was able to call EDF immediately, set up an account, and schedule someone to reconnect our power. Unfortunately, the earliest someone could come was the next day sometime between noon and 2:00 p.m. Fortunately, Lee and Pegs were nice enough to let their stupid brother and his patient, embarrassed wife stay at their place for the night. Unfortunately, the next day was particularly cold when we went back to our apartment to wait for the EDF guy. It even started snowing, which on the one hand was beautiful and exciting (at least to a guy from Louisiana and a woman from North Carolina), and on the other hand reminded us how badly we needed the electricty back on so we could heat up our freezing apartment.

In the end, though, we got the power back on, and after a day of wearing 3 layers of sweaters, multiple scarves, and our thickest coats inside, the place is now pretty cozy again. Ariel has decided that despite the fact that she doesn't speak the language, she will now be in charge of overseeing our bill payments. Clearly I'm not up to the task.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got the water cut off in the other condo in New Orleans, so you don't have a lock on Dorkiness.

Dad

wanderingintheweehours said...

Well, I know Ariel can be very organized about things when she wants to be (she takes after Bruce in that regard, and HE is in charge of our bill payment and checkbook too), PLUS you do have a few other things on your mind.....(and HOORAY for getting it turned back on!! :-)