Thursday, December 11, 2008

Fakin' Bacon


For dinner tonight we went across the street to the local (by which I mean only) diner, called "Breakfast in America."
Being "in America," we decided we needed to get the most American food we could think of, something we can't get anywhere else in France. And, since this is Ariel and Derek we're talking about, you should already know what that something is: bacon. Ariel had a BLT and I ordered a Bacon Cheeseburger.

Midway through the meal, Ariel stopped eating, at which point we had the following very brief conversation:

Derek: How does the bacon taste?

Ariel (looking betrayed and sounding disappointed): It tastes......French.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What do French mean?

Dad

Anonymous said...

I meant does.

Derek said...

It means it didn't actually taste like bacon. It tasted like something that a person who's never had bacon might think was bacon, but it wasn't actually bacon. The French just don't have bacon. You can't find it here. And that made my wife a little sad.

Ao said...

Plenty salty, but not enough smokiness and a little too gamey. We've had pork sausage here a couple of times, and they have a similar gamey taste. Don't know what it is. Odd. And a little sad.... But it's something to look forward to next time we're in the U.S.!

Ao said...

And I just love it that you're leaving comments! It's such a treat. Thank you!